Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Ford and Mountune are offering a new tuning kit for the Focus ST.

The MP275 package bumps the Focus ST's 2.0-liter turbocharged engine up to 275 hp and 296 lb-ft of torque. That is an increase of 23 hp and 26 lb-ft of torque over the stock version.

The kit includes upgraded induction components, including a high-flow air filter and a new intercooler, along with Mountune's mTune handset and all installation hardware. When installed by a Ford Performance-certified technician, the modified Focus ST will retain its original factory warranty.
This could be an option for people who don't want to wait, or pay the money for, the Focus RS. As a reminder the Focus RS has 345 hp and 324 lb-ft of torque.

The kit costs $1,900, excluding installation costs.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-tuning-kit-upgrades-focus-st-to-275-hp-296-lb-ft-of-torque-89403.html

·
Registered
494 Posts
that's a nice increase in power especially if the majority of it is in the lower end of the power band. Cost is a bit steep but considering what's being done and the fact there's factory warranty... it's a tough one to pass on.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think that it provides another option for people who might not want to go for something as 'exciting' as the Focus RS.

Another benefit is you can buy the Focus ST and then save up a bit after paying that deposit to buy this performance upgrade later. It's just more accessible.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Including installation costs it would be around $2400, depending on how long it takes to install and labor costs. Not too bad compared to buying a new RS but it just won't have the same new car smell and feel.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Including installation costs it would be around $2400, depending on how long it takes to install and labor costs. Not too bad compared to buying a new RS but it just won't have the same new car smell and feel.
If it's a new car then it will have the new car smell. :D

The Focus RS still will be quite a bit more powerful though. It will have a significantly different feel from this tuned Focus ST.

·
Registered
313 Posts
If it's a new car then it will have the new car smell. :D

The Focus RS still will be quite a bit more powerful though. It will have a significantly different feel from this tuned Focus ST.
Yes... this is what we're all saying. Its great they offer this kit for the ST, really, but we want the RS... RS is more then just the power...

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm kinda curious to test drive all the different versions of the Focus. I think that would make me appreciate the differences even more in the end.

And I'm sure the dealer would find that to be a great use of his time as well.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I think that it provides another option for people who might not want to go for something as 'exciting' as the Focus RS.

Another benefit is you can buy the Focus ST and then save up a bit after paying that deposit to buy this performance upgrade later. It's just more accessible.
Yeah it's kind of like how people go for the 335i BMW over the M3/M4, Focus ST for a lot of folks have proven to be enough, so a little tune to kick it up a notch will go a long way!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Plenty of brands offer a "sport" model that lays between their performance model and the standard model. This can be seen as that. I actually think it will attract a large amount of people. People who want more fun, but don't really need everything that the Focus RS is coming with.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Yeah it's kind of like how people go for the 335i BMW over the M3/M4, Focus ST for a lot of folks have proven to be enough, so a little tune to kick it up a notch will go a long way!
I think its even more exacerbated then the 335 to M3 thing... The 335 and M3 at least share a block and head, not to mention RWD layout... The focus RS has next to nothing in common with the ST baring chassis... The entire drivetrain/driveline is unique to the RS....

·
Registered
411 Posts
I won't be surprised if it does cost a lot more but that's increase will make a difference on the Focus RS. Imagine and additional 23 hp and 26 lb-ft of torque on top of the 315-plus-hp!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts