Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all! I'm SPOOLISH. Its awesome to be among the beginning of a huge car scene that's in its infancy!! Anyways, I've come across a lot of information on the RS that excites me. I have found a mustang ecoboost online that makes 500hp on ALL STOCK INTERNALS. The car made the power with a 5858 turbo and some other supporting mods. This is really exciting because the focus rs has a better engine and a bigger turbo stock, well, not bigger than the 5858 lol. Now, we don't know what the stock turbo can do just yet but I think its safe to say the engine is very capable of 500hp safely and reliably.

Link to awesomness. http://https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=65vA-Lk6cnc

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hello all! I'm SPOOLISH. Its awesome to be among the beginning of a huge car scene that's in its infancy!! Anyways, I've come across a lot of information on the RS that excites me. I have found a mustang ecoboost online that makes 500hp on ALL STOCK INTERNALS. The car made the power with a 5858 turbo and some other supporting mods. This is really exciting because the focus rs has a better engine and a bigger turbo stock, well, not bigger than the 5858 lol. Now, we don't know what the stock turbo can do just yet but I think its safe to say the engine is very capable of 500hp safely and reliably.

Link to awesomness. http://https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=65vA-Lk6cnc
YEA I've sen that guy too, also main reason for believing in the little 4!!

Welcome to the show, its going to be a ride >:)>:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So to get to that 500 hp would it just take some tuning? No need to add anything else to it?
I highly doubt that. There's no way of knowing what we can get out of the car untill we have more information. Or, better yet actually have the car to play with! At this point we know the RS has a better made engine than the mustang so handling 500hp should be stupid easy. My guess would be (without knowing the size of the stock turbo or how much stock boost is) the car will be capable of 80hp+ over stock on stock turbo without losing efficiency. Its direct injected so who knows the issues down the road. Coaked valves for one, like the LNF version of the cobalt ss, is probable. First mod should be PCV fix. I have a feeling its going to be an issue. I see no reason why the stock turbo wouldn't be capable of pushing the RS over 400hp. With E85 probably more like 420-430hp stock turbo.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I highly doubt that. There's no way of knowing what we can get out of the car untill we have more information. Or, better yet actually have the car to play with! At this point we know the RS has a better made engine than the mustang so handling 500hp should be stupid easy. My guess would be (without knowing the size of the stock turbo or how much stock boost is) the car will be capable of 80hp+ over stock on stock turbo without losing efficiency. Its direct injected so who knows the issues down the road. Coaked valves for one, like the LNF version of the cobalt ss, is probable. First mod should be PCV fix. I have a feeling its going to be an issue. I see no reason why the stock turbo wouldn't be capable of pushing the RS over 400hp. With E85 probably more like 420-430hp stock turbo.
I wouldn't say the Focus has a better made engine... they come from the same engine room I'm betting, the difference is in the state of tune...

I'm weary of the DI too. from what I've been reading ford hasn't even figured out how to perform intake side service on the valves. Any service seems to send carbon chunks down into the cylinders. Protocol last I heard was total head replacement for caked valves...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I noticed the link is dead. Sux idk why.. Google it I suppose. 500hp ecoboost mustang turbo swap. As for the engine, no its confirmed it has been beefed up significantly more than the mustang version. Proof is in the head and sleeved block. The best/easiest way to kean the intake valves on direct injected cars is a walnut blaster from harbor freight. Cheap and works really well. Do some research and you'll see about the engine and the walnut blaster. I base my posts off facts that can be easily found online with a quick search lol. I don't post opinions without a foundation. I cannot wait to see the REAL specs of this car. I'm hoping for a nitrided crank at the minimum.

Valve gunk is typical and old news. Easily cleaned. The issue is the crap emissions the usa has on our cars "pcv" systems that aren't proper. A company names Powell race parts makes a PCV fix for the LNF cobalt (turbo version) that all but eliminates coking of the valves.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
411 Posts
It seems like the Focus RS engine already has a few added modifications as part of it's standard package. Will the mustang get the base engine or will they have all the added items like the twin scroll turbocharger, etc?

·
Registered
313 Posts
hmm i wonder if its going to have more lag then the mustang. "added a new low inertia twin scroll turbocharger with a larger compressor wheel than what is found on the 2015 Ford Mustang EcoBoost." The Mustang already has a low interia twin scroll... sounds like they went for a larger compressor for more boost, which would then make sense why they added more components to mitigate heat

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hmm i wonder if its going to have more lag then the mustang. "added a new low inertia twin scroll turbocharger with a larger compressor wheel than what is found on the 2015 Ford Mustang EcoBoost." The Mustang already has a low interia twin scroll... sounds like they went for a larger compressor for more boost, which would then make sense why they added more components to mitigate heat
They added more things to mitigate heat primarily for the "tracking purposes" although that is also the reason for the larger intercooler. The lag shouldn't be too previlant since the exhaust wheel is the same size as the standard for the mustang. The impeller might be larger, but it is very clear the impeller housing is larger. That's just going to make more over all boost. It won't come online later, just more of it. Unless the exhaust side is changed, it should be laggy.

·
Registered
471 Posts
That has me wondering what it's going to be like driving out an hour to the track, ripping it around the track for the better part of the day and then driving back.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That has me wondering what it's going to be like driving out an hour to the track, ripping it around the track for the better part of the day and then driving back.
I meant "SHOULDN'T" be laggy. I doubt its anything more than a KO4 etended tip turbo. It should be just fine to beat up on at the track. The only thing I see suffering in that respect are brakes and tires.

·
Registered
9 Posts
From what Ford engineering has said, they are very near the power limits of the 2.3L engine at 350 HP. Now, that said, this includes a concern for driveability, NVH and a few other things most of us would be willing to sacrifice for another 50 horses. The biggest issue, IMHO, will be the intercooler. To boost power much past 350 and avoid serious heat soak issues, will require a significant increase to the size of the intercooler. Provided that the engine temps are kept in check, 500 HP on stock internals should be doable. For that power level, in addition to the upgraded intercooler with a bigger turbo compressor, the main cooling system may need upgrading as well. With an internal combustion engine, power equates to heat and the heat from the extra power must be taken into account when determining the safe sustained HP output of a given engine. Anyway, that is my 2 cents...

·
Registered
1 Posts
reading this I thought I would comment.

From what I see with the Focus RS. 350 hp / 350 trq on a 2.3L 4 cylinder engine seems like the potential power output is at its limits or very near. With the knowledge that the same engine in the Mustang Ecoboost was capable of 500 whp on stock block / internals assuming there was a DI upgrade or using E85 or some blend, I believe your only window to build power is going to rely solely on the turbo thats on the car (along with a tune). The turbo is apparently bigger than the mustangs turbo but I cant imagine its that much bigger. Maybe a variant of the K04. My guess is if you tune a Focus RS with nothing else changing, you'd find you can only make make about 360-370 whp. Maybe just maybe hit 400whp on E85.

Im an owner of a turbo cobalt. I understand what you guys are about to go through with modifications and fueling issues. Just to put it in perspective. 2009 cobalt SS turbo stock hp/ trq = 260/262. Translates to ~240whp. I got this whp # as an average of multiple factory dyno runs. 240whp seems to be the average when taking different dynos, locations, elevations into account.

Just tuning alone, increase timing and boost from 16 psi to 24 psi, the cars capable of 310-320 whp / 320-380 trq depending on the aggressiveness and torque spike.

If you know what turbo they have on the RS and you know what the stock boost setting is, you can pretty much figure out what kind of gains you will see with a tune. On a cobalt with a k04 twin scroll, 24 psi is the sweet spot. If you have a similar turbo but the factory psi is 20 psi, id guess the turbo could only handle another 4 psi and you may only see half the gains that I saw in the cobalt.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts