Ford Focus RS Forum banner
  • Black Friday For 72 hours, forum members get 20% off at RevZilla with code FORUMS20.
  • Copy to prompt input

Light up trim panels: the next tuner trend?

19K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  S.Elliot 
#1 ·
As part of my work, I sometimes have to search the USPTO patent and trademark database.

Yesterday, I discovered Ford filed a patent application on June 25th for "luminescent vehicle molding". In other words, light-up exterior trim pieces. A Mustang image was included:

http://pdfaiw.uspto.gov/.aiw?PageNu...=PG01%26s1=Ford.AS.%26OS=AN/Ford%26RS=AN/Ford

A molding of a vehicle is provided herein. The molding
includes a cover panel portion mounted to a body panel of the
vehicle. A carrier is disposed between the cover panel portion
and the body panel, the carrier having an exposed portion
configured to luminesce in response to light excitation. At
least one light source is disposed inside the carrier and is
configured to emit light for exciting the exposed portion.
It looks like the beltline and other plastic trim will light up.

Something like this, but factory looking, and not looking like an add-on piece?

What do you guys think? If it's OEM looking, will it still be rice? I think it could be kind of cool to outline the Focus's greenhouse window trim with some subtle, factory-looking white LEDs.

I could see this feature improving visibility at night for cars, motorcycles, and pedestrians.

See less See more
#2 ·
Interesting that they used an S197 Mustang in the filing dated June 25 2015... Strange that they even used a mustang at all. I could see illuminated panels being great for the Transit, sold to business' perhaps, illuminate your logo at night...

Or it could be great for construction fleet vehicles, set to flash, no need for sirens anymore... Speaking of, imagine a police interceptor chasing you down with its bumper and hood alternating blue and red...

#14 ·
Came across more detailed patents, you guys will get a much clearer idea of what to expect with these.

Ford wants to use photoluminescent technology to light up its vehicles.

Numerous patent applications have surfaced detailing the technology Ford intends to use on its vehicles, all of which utilizes lighting that comes on after being exposed to certain wavelengths of light, similar to how items that glow-in-the-dark work.

The American automaker is looking to apply photoluminescent lighting for the following applications: vehicle trim and fabric, interior and exterior moving designs, vehicle graphics, bin lamp, device holder, vehicle console, lift gate lamp, color changing dome map lamp and vehicle step lamp. Each patent application was accompanied with a selection of images showcasing the technology and how it works.

The driver will be able to independently control which graphic or body panel is glowing on the outside of the car thanks to this new technology. For the dome and interior lights, a controller would be used to configure and excite a photoluminescent portion with the ability to control the output color of an emitted light.

It appears that Ford wants to apply the photoluminescent lighting technology to various items in the cabin as well as using it to light up the lift gate lamp and steps on the side of a vehicle.

It will be interesting to see an actual application of the technology being demonstrated, but for now all we can think of is how Fast and Furious Mustangs are going to look with flames lighting up the side of the vehicles… straight from the factory.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.