Ford Focus RS Forum banner
  • Black Friday For 72 hours, forum members get 20% off at RevZilla with code FORUMS20.
  • Copy to prompt input

From ST, to M3, maybe to RS?

4K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Apex Missing Ape 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

A little about me: I'm an Alabama guy that's pretty active in HPDE and going to drag strips. I had an ST ST3 for about a year. It was a blast but it was a little too tame for me. I sold the ST and bought an E92 M3, which was promptly destroyed (only had it for 3 months!) by an F-150 smashing into my car and sending me into a guard rail. Good times. Right now I'm driving my 2008 G8, which is a fun car that runs mid 11s in the 1/4, but it's not exactly nimble in its current configuration.

So, here I am, lusting after this RS. It seems to fix the few issues I had with my ST, namely, it being FWD and a little on the slow side. I haven't decided between buying the RS or replacing my M3 with another one yet. I'm really leaning toward the RS.

Anyway, hello!

#4 ·
I think I'd be pretty happy in a somewhat lightweight AWD beast like the RS. I loved the rotation mid corner I could get in my ST, but wasn't thrilled with the push under hard acceleration while turning. AWD should fix that right up.

If I choose another M3 it would definitely be an E92. The M4 is better in every objective measure than the E92 M3, but winding out that S65 V8 to 8400 RPM is too addictive. That's the way I want to remember the M series. If I were to venture back into the $60k+ market again I'd probably choose the GT350R over an M4.

I've already called my Ford dealership about the order banks, but no word on when they'll open. I can hardly wait!

#8 ·
The purists hate the E92 M3 because of the engine, and the prefer the I-6. The vast majority of enthusiasts loved that generation because it w2as such a phenomenal motor. I think they will be one of the more sought after M cars later on. The United Sportscar and LeMans racers still use the S65 engine in their programs. It's great!

The E90 is the sedan, E92 is the coupe, and E93 is the convertible.

#13 ·
My ST was a lot of fun and pretty fuel efficient when I drove it like a Prius owner. When I put the hammer down I paid the price, though. That I can work with with. If I want to play I've got to be willing to deal with the consequences. It's a lot like when I drink, come to think of it.

The RS strikes a balance between utility, economy, and speed that I can't resist.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.