Ford Focus RS Forum banner
  • Black Friday For 72 hours, forum members get 20% off at RevZilla with code FORUMS20.
  • Copy to prompt input

Ford Designed the AWD in House...

10K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  Alethia 
#1 ·
Its not a Haladex system, it was designed completely in house by Ford engineers...

Unlike its key competitor, the VW Golf R, the Focus RS utilizes an all-wheel-drive system that is said to have been designed entirely in-house. Assuming the RS is traveling in a straight line with zero slip at any of its four tires, the all-wheel-drive setup sends 100 percent of the available power to the front axle. When slip is detected or if there is steering input, up to 70 percent of the available power can be sent rearward.

See less See more
#6 ·
The Ford Focus RS’s Clever AWD System Will Spread Elsewhere (And We Think We’ve Seen It Before)

http://blog.caranddriver.com/the-fo...e-think-weve-seen-it-before/?mag=cad&click=yr

Ford’s engineers rarely get to do things that upset the Blue Oval’s all-powerful accountants. Given that, our biggest surprise at the unveiling of the new Focus RS was the car’s extremely clever torque-vectoring all-wheel-drive system, considering the massive costs that must have gone into re-engineering the front-drive Focus to take it.

And although there’s no official confirmation of anything, the Ford execs on hand at the reveal event were happy to drop some very broad hints that we will see the system spread elsewhere among “performance” applications within the group.

“If you look at the thread of the presentation and what we’ve used these fast Fords for in the past, a lot of mainstream technologies that we use today came from these vehicles,” Joe Bakaj, Ford of Europe’s VP of product development told us. “And I can see this as one of those technologies of the future.”

2017 Ford Focus RS cutaway
Not that Ford is first to this particular party. The official details of what Ford calls the Focus’s Rear-Drive Unit are almost identical to those of the rear axle “Active Driveline” that Land Rover has recently introduced on higher-performance versions of the Range Rover Evoque. Both use twin electronically controlled clutches on the rear axle to send torque to the back wheels, and both are claimed to be capable of the same neat side-to-side torque-vectoring trick.

Land Rover’s system is made by GKN Driveline in Sweden, with the system being branded as “Twinster.” Ford did say they worked with GKN on the Focus RS, but we don’t know if the RS uses the exact same system or just a similar one—Ford executives refused to say, however nicely we asked them—but in any event it looks like an idea whose time has come.

As with Land Rover, Ford’s twin-clutch rear setup is likely to be the preserve of pricier and more dynamically focused cars; lesser four-wheel-drive Evoques still make do with a single-clutch system upstream of a conventional differential. But it’s not hard to see plenty of interest in Ford products that can deliver both more traction and increased agility. “I think it’s a breakthrough technology that has many opportunities,” Bakaj told us.

#17 ·
Did not think about that. My car had to have something replaced because of all the pot holes and bumps over the years. Can't quite recall what part it was. Never had an issue driving over them in the rain. Did you skid in one?
It's why I try to travel on roads i'm familiar with so I know where and when to avoid instead of just running into things, at least with having a nice car, if my beater then i wouldn't care too much.

#20 ·
Does anybody here know the correct method to make the RS a Front Wheel ONLY drive mode? I cannot remember where I saw this, as one is to test front drive only on a 2-wheel dyno.
COBB sent me an infomercial that states there is a plug to be pulled near the front diff that converts to FWD only.
My rationale is I would love to carry a "donut spare" and don't want to burn out the rear diff if I place a small tire/wheel on the back. Also, don't know what would happen if a front wheel needed to be replaced with a mini-spare, but still, that can of "flat fix" will do NOTHING for a tire blown out by a pot-hole. Any expert thoughts would be greatly appreciated! THANKS!

#21 ·
RDU de-activation

Just found out from COBB that there is a "plug" that attaches to the center diff that will DE-ACTIVATE the rear diff. This MUST be done for any and ALL dyno tests! Apparently the car cannot spin a 4-wheel dyno, as there is to be some slippage for the RS System to work, and the dyno will throw that off. So rear wheels MUST be not powered on a test. I can try to cut and paste the COBB explanation if anybody would like to read it.
In addition, if any RS owners have watched COBB U, and seen all their presentations, it would sound/look like that we need a re-tune if we add on a Cold Air Intake and new hi-flow filter!
NOT SO, again, according to COBB: Their examples use a Subaru STI, which IS a MAF sensor determining car. The RS uses MAP tuning, so adding a new filter doesn't change a thing. I can't remember all the details, but can try to cut and paste if anybody wants to read it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.