Ford Focus RS Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Finally a 0-200 km/h Golf R vs Ford RS. Both stock. RS was with less fuel in the tank to match the weight of Golf R as much as possible.
Ford RS use launch control, Golf R did not. I still think that track wise RS will be faster. R will need a suspension mod and tires to compete against Ford
Enjoy the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmK3FDoXD2E

·
Registered
471 Posts
Now Honda just needs to hurry up with the next Civic Type R so we can see how it compares to the Focus RS and Golf R, it should be quite competitive. Overseas they've been doing quite well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Finally a 0-200 km/h Golf R vs Ford RS. Both stock. RS was with less fuel in the tank to match the weight of Golf R as much as possible.
Ford RS use launch control, Golf R did not. I still think that track wise RS will be faster. R will need a suspension mod and tires to compete against Ford
Enjoy the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmK3FDoXD2E
Nice video but this Golf R had the DSG. Not sure what it would do with a manual transmission.

I'm surprised that there's not a single comparison between the these two cars on the web.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nice video but this Golf R had the DSG. Not sure what it would do with a manual transmission.

I'm surprised that there's not a single comparison between the these two cars on the web.
Well the R did not use launch control for that purpose.
Abut the comparison...time will tell. Sometimes the hype is to strong and the things are quite a bit different in real life.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had my 2015 Golf R with DSG for about a year now. I can tell you this, the difference between using launch control and not, is extreme. It has a larger turbo than the GTI, so that makes a huge difference in spool up. The DSG is lightning fast shifting as well. If you buy one, get the optional package with the adjustable suspension, 19" wheels, and sound system upgrade.

It's a very beautiful car inside and out. But if you want a louder/showy car, maybe the RS is better for you. This car is almost stealthy besides the quad exhaust pipes.

Also, keep in mind, already available is a simple stage 1 remap for about $700 that ups the power to about 356 hp, and 3.7 sec 0-60. The 0-100 drops to about 9.2 sec as well. Quarter mile in the 11.9 - 12.1 @ 114mph range.

Maybe the RS will be faster with a tune, hard to say, but you better not miss a shift. I'm sure it's a very fun car none the less.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I've had my 2015 Golf R with DSG for about a year now. I can tell you this, the difference between using launch control and not, is extreme. It has a larger turbo than the GTI, so that makes a huge difference in spool up. The DSG is lightning fast shifting as well. If you buy one, get the optional package with the adjustable suspension, 19" wheels, and sound system upgrade.

It's a very beautiful car inside and out. But if you want a louder/showy car, maybe the RS is better for you. This car is almost stealthy besides the quad exhaust pipes.

Also, keep in mind, already available is a simple stage 1 remap for about $700 that ups the power to about 356 hp, and 3.7 sec 0-60. The 0-100 drops to about 9.2 sec as well. Quarter mile in the 11.9 - 12.1 @ 114mph range.

Maybe the RS will be faster with a tune, hard to say, but you better not miss a shift. I'm sure it's a very fun car none the less.
Thanks for your input, but my next car is definitely going to have a manual transmission. I've had a couple of VW in the past and I've always loved their shifter.

As for the tune, I'm really attracted by the aftermarket performance packages that are already available. I see people posting impressive numbers even with basic stage 1 tunes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Quick update. After months of thinking I decided to buy the Golf R. I got it about three weeks ago. Manual transmission, DCC & Nav package, lapiz blue. Really, really happy about my choice.

At some point I will share the thought process behind picking the Golf R over the RS, hoping to help everyone who is trying to choose between the two hatches.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You have to ask yourself though, do you want performance or a nice interior? If it is the latter you should probably not be buying either a Focus RS or a Golf R. There are cars out there with much nicer interiors for a lot less money.

If you want AWD performance then you will have to give up that interior unless you want to spend AMG money. I used to drive a Subaru STI, talk about a crappy interior! That AWD performance was great though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'd really like to see a comparison of both with the exact same tires. I'm sure the RS will probably still win because it has a better 4WD system and more power but I'm also sure the gap will be much less and I believe that it would end a lot of the discussions on which is really best. Currently the RS outperforms the R by quite a bit but the RS comes with Michelin PSS and Sport Cups optionally. The R only comes with all season Pirellis which are quite mediocre.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts