Ford Focus RS Forum banner
  • Black Friday For 72 hours, forum members get 20% off at RevZilla with code FORUMS20.
  • Copy to prompt input

Fitting an Oil Catch Can?

5K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  allenbradley 
#1 · (Edited)
Having looked at several articles on direct injection turbo charged engines there seems to be an issue with carbon buildup on the inlet valves.

The issue of carbon buildup is caused by the fact that no petrol passes over the inlet valves to wash off any oil etc. The engine breather system is fed into the inlet manifold. This air is carrying oil as it is the loss that escape passed the piston rings that is made worse by the high pressure of the turbo. This air then picks up oil from the sump and is dumped into the inlet manifold.

The solution seems to be to reroute the breather pipe as it exits the engine through an oil catch can, this separates a large percentage of the oil from the air. The output from the catch can is then passed back into the inlet manifold and causes less carbon buildup on the inlet valves as it contains a lot less oil.

The oil catch can has a drain pipe from it with an inline tap. This allows the trap oil to be drained off periodically.

I was wondering what the general thoughts of the other members were and if anyone had used a catch can and was it successful?

See less See more
#2 ·
Catch cans are generally successful in collecting the carbon buildup and I doubt people would want to try and fit a universal one. A turbo engine is going to have a lot more oil passing through than a NA engine so I don't get why the manufacturers just add one from the factory.

Haven't tried them yet but I've heard great things about mishimoto and they already have a Focus RS specific baffled catch can.

#3 ·
A vehicle specific catch can is always nice because it already has a certain place to go to with proper length lines and what not. You can definitely also use a baffled universal catch can as well and mount it somewhere yourself.

I would definitely use the catch can on the RS because of the turbocharged engine. I would even use them on a naturally aspirated engine as well. Anything to prevent wear/damages is a good thing. You can never be too safe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.