Ford Focus RS Forum banner
  • Black Friday For 72 hours, forum members get 20% off at RevZilla with code FORUMS20.
  • Copy to prompt input

Turbo kits??

14K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  GrauGeist 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Just wondering which turbo companies will most likely be making a bolt-on turbo kit for the new Focus RS when it comes out. I know its probably to early to say but in the past which companies have manufactured turbos for the Focus?

Thankyou

#6 ·
We have been making after market turbo for turbo charged Subarus for years (WRX/STI/Legacy GT). We are actually already working on stock location Focus RS turbos. The idea being that you can buy all of your bolt ons and later simply replace the stock turbo. It cost more in tooling, but is cheaper and easier to install for the end customer.

We recently completed full production batches on the 2015 WRX's new FA20F DIT stock location turbo. it has a new low mount twin scroll turbo. It took us a year to get the tooling made because the turbine housing was the most complicated one our foundry had ever cast. It remains to be seen how complicated the RS' turbine housing will be to make, but it could be 6-12 months before we have production aftermarket turbos available.

In the mean time, we will probably work on other bolt ons like exhausts, intakes, intercooler, etc. for the Focus RS platform. :D

#18 ·
Quite a few companies are developing "big turbo" kits for the RS. There's a company in MN who recently broke the 500 whp mark w/ the RS with their Stage 1 turbo kit.

Another tuner in MN has a RS running 11.8 in the 1/4 mile on the stock turbo.

Once the big turbo kits are released - drivers will need to take a serious look at clutch upgrades, potential quaife, upgrade fuel pumps, etc. . .

I'm still waiting for someone to unlock Pandora's box that we call the RDU.

#19 ·
CJ Ponyparts (Allentown Blvd., Harrisburg, PA)has an upgrade turbo kit for RS---the new turbo will support up to 520 hp! (IF you have all the correct other ancillary components!) I'm not so sure adding more HP is a great idea, though---just got a factory recall notice that I may need a new head gasket or new head in total. Car has 2300 miles on it, 2017, new Oct. 3rd! Early reports had RS engines "grenading" so I'm just guessing that they are near the top of their design hp(?) Interestingly, BMW got 800 hp from a 1.5 L engine in the 1970s for F1, and they also got 1200 hp from that same blown mill for qualifying---but it would ONLY hold together for those qualifying laps. Something tells me that to get that much power, the block and EVERY component must be built for it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.