I've Driven the RS Focus - Road Report - Ford Focus RS Forum
 2Likes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Talking I've Driven the RS Focus - Road Report

Hello fellow members.

I was very fortunate today to drive the RS Focus, in summary a stunning car.

The first thing you notice, is the car in blue, is even better in the flesh than the pictures or in showroom lights. I was not sure about the black wheels, I am going to order with the standard silver ones, it's all down to the individual tastes. In sunlight, the paint has a sparkle to it and sets off the body kit and lines superbly.

In traffic the car is fully manageable, no surging or stalling, the clutch is light and is a little bit on/off, but you would expect this for this sort of car. When you hit a clear road and overtake in normal mode, the turbo comes in with little lag and you're off, totally controllable power. The steering is positive with lots of feedback.

If you power around roundabouts there is no drama, no tyre noise no body roll, you just increase your speed to your exit road.

After selecting sport mode, the exhaust note has more pops and bangs on over run but not unpleasant. The dampers also firm up and the ride is a little harder, again you could travel several hundred miles and listen to the radio.

The car is a joy to drive, and we will all be looking forward to our order arriving, followed by many happy trips. Comments like - I think we will take that twisty road will become common place for an RS owner.

If you have any specific questions I would be happy to give you my opinion. ☺
I'mBlue likes this.
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 02:43 PM

Garage
What RPM does the turbo kick in, or is it more even feeling throughout the RPM ranges?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 05:10 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
The power is good before the turbo comes in, I guess (I did not spend loads of time looking at the rpm, as car in front was closing in fast) it starts to deliver some boost at around 2,500 and is on full boost above 3,500 rpm. There is so much power lowdown, providing you're in the correct gear you are watching the gap closing as things are happening rapidly. Once on full boost it's just eye watering.

The brakes are stunning, very well matched to the cars performance.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 12:09 PM

Is the turbo lag really that noticeable?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 12:58 PM

I think what will help down the road is when/if they come out with electric torque fill from a hybrid system. The next generation Focus is in development and if Ford wants to remain the leader in this segment, then bringing on a hybrid powertrain will help them and ensure they have a solid product.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
No, impressively lacking, the turbo spins up very quickly. The fastest reacting turbo of all the turbo cars I have owned in the last twenty years.

Last edited by Red Leader; 04-27-2016 at 01:25 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 01:09 PM

Any stock turbo cars you could possibly compare the power-band feeling to ?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
The twin scroll turbo gives this RS a unique feel, so no I can't compare it to anything I have driven in the past. All I can say it was that good I have ordered an RS, the downside is I have to wait a year until it's delivered.
gio likes this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 10:35 AM

Ohhh okay okay. But darn you really enjoyed it that much, congratulations !! Colour ..?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
The twin scroll turbo gives this RS a unique feel, so no I can't compare it to anything I have driven in the past. All I can say it was that good I have ordered an RS, the downside is I have to wait a year until it's delivered.
I hope you at least have something fun to drive around in the mean time.
What other cars have you owned in the past? Anything along the lines of performance the RS is like?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page